Human Factors in Cybersecurity
|Credit Points:||3 CP|
In this seminar, students will be exposed to a researcher's bread and butter, i.e., diving into the research of the last decade in Usable Security and Privacy and getting to know the process of publishing a scientific paper.
Simulating a computer science conference’s publishing process, you will critically read and review papers, give short presentations and discuss the papers with other participants.
The topics will include (but are not limited to) usability challenges of authentication systems (including passwords), warning messages, TLS, permission systems, privacy for end-users and secure programming and configuration of computer systems.
The structure of this seminar aims to emulate a top tier IT security conference. To provide a balanced experience, all participating students will both act as “authors” and reviewer / program chair (PC).
- Submit “your” paper (due to time limitations: get assigned one of 3 already published papers).
- Defend “your” paper against 2 reviews in a rebuttal.
- Present “your” paper at the conference in a short presentation.
As program chair/reviewer:
- Write reviews for 2 other papers.
- Write a meta review (a summary of existing reviews + rebuttal) for 1 other paper.
- Present your meta review paper in a lightning talk and argue for/against accepting it.
Depending on the assignment, submission is either done via email or the HotCRP:
- Email: Please include your name if it is not obvious from your address or submission.
- HotCRP: Upload via web form in our submission system, remember to sign up before the deadline.
- Grade consists of two written reviews, rebuttal, meta-review, lightning talk, and paper presentation.
- Submitting assignments on time is mandatory for this seminar to function.
- Presence in meetings/sessions is mandatory for this seminar to function.
|October, 13th, 2020||Intro|
|October, 18th, 2020||HotCRP Registration|
|October, 23rd, 2020||Bidding|
|October, 30th, 2020||Read Papers|
|November, 3rd, 2020||HowTo Session (Attendance required)|
|November, 13th, 2020||First Review|
|November, 27th, 2020||Second Review|
|November, 30th, 2020||Send out Reviews|
|December, 3rd, 2020||Rebuttal|
|December, 11th, 2020||Meta-Review Assignment|
|December, 18th, 2020||Meta-Reviews|
|January, 4th, 2021||Lightning Talk Submission|
|January, 12th, 2021||PC Meeting (Attendance required)|
|January, 22nd, 2021||Talk Submission|
|January, 26th, 2021||Conference (Attendance required)|